• Join The PCTechBytes Community

Welcome to PCTechBytes! Whether your a battle-seasoned geek or a technology novice, sign up for the free PCTechBytes forums to interact with other like-minded people. Get computer help or assist a fellow member and do your good deed for the day. The forums are heavily moderated and friendly, so join today and begin posting now!

kemperhills

Can't get printer to work

Question

I have an HP Deskjet 2635 printer that is only a few several months old.  When I bought the printer and installed ii it works fine.  Then it got  to where it would sometimes print and sometimes wouldn't. I needed to do a fresh install of the W7 Pro x64 OS any way so I did.  Now the printer won't print at all except to print HP Network Configuration Page.  I have run HP's print and scan doctor which found no problems.  However, I have, through the HP Printer Assistant, that says that the printer and the host is not on the same network.  But I can't figure out how to solve the problem.  Help.  Thanks. 

2 answers to this question

The fact that they are not on the same network is likely the issue. If you go into the settings on the printer, make sure DHCP is turned on and you do not have a static IP address configured. Once DHCP is turned on, restart the printer and try again. The computer's IP address and Printers IP address should be similar. If the computer's IP address is 192.168.1.2 then the printer's IP address should be something like 192.168.1.x.

33 minutes ago, Dave@Bytes said:

The fact that they are not on the same network is likely the issue. If you go into the settings on the printer, make sure DHCP is turned on and you do not have a static IP address configured. Once DHCP is turned on, restart the printer and try again. The computer's IP address and Printers IP address should be similar. If the computer's IP address is 192.168.1.2 then the printer's IP address should be something like 192.168.1.x.

Thanks Dave. Fixed