• Join The PCTechBytes Community

Welcome to PCTechBytes! Whether your a battle-seasoned geek or a technology novice, sign up for the free PCTechBytes forums to interact with other like-minded people. Get computer help or assist a fellow member and do your good deed for the day. The forums are heavily moderated and friendly, so join today and begin posting now!

Klard

Add 2nd Internal Hard Drive

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 3670 Desktop (Tower).  It has a 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-75WN4A0 (SATA) Internal Drive.  I also bought a 4T WD Blue Internal Drive to add to this system.

Of course, I need a Data Cable (which I have) and a Power Cable (which I do not have).

Here is my question;  What type of power cable do I need to purchase?  Of course, the proper technical name will inure I get the proper item.  I suppose I could use a SATA Power Splitter Line.  The Power Supply is rated at 960.

Also, there is no pre-existing mount for an additional internal drive so I intend to simply set the additional drive on top of the existing drive which sets on the bottom of the case.  I will place a simple vibration resistant pad between the two.

If you're an Amazon User any link to the correct item would be appreciated.

20190211_144627.jpg

20190214_150849.jpg

Maybe there was a typo but I'm seeing this PC came with a 290W stock PSU.  I think there are only three cables that come from that PSU, one to the motherboard, one to the SATA HDD, and one to the optical drive.  You could steal the one from the optical drive if you are not going to use it. 

Is there an aftermarket PSU installed?  Even with the 290 you can probably get away with this by stealing the cable going to the first HDD: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C2TJ82P/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07C2TJ82P&pd_rd_w=bAQWU&pf_rd_p=2bd81721-c115-4b8d-93a3-2ecd17466ded&pd_rd_wg=YqW1b&pf_rd_r=4VK0K2Y398MVMPBABB9N&pd_rd_r=ee3cbf0b-33bb-11e9-b00f-bf29e400fc02

If you have any extra components installed like an aftermarket GPU you will likely need a beefier PSU. 

1 minute ago, Dr_Bob said:

Maybe there was a typo but I'm seeing this PC came with a 290W stock PSU.  I think there are only three cables that come from that PSU, one to the motherboard, one to the SATA HDD, and one to the optical drive.  You could steal the one from the optical drive if you are not going to use it. 

Is there an aftermarket PSU installed?  Even with the 290 you can probably get away with this by stealing the cable going to the first HDD: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C2TJ82P/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07C2TJ82P&pd_rd_w=bAQWU&pf_rd_p=2bd81721-c115-4b8d-93a3-2ecd17466ded&pd_rd_wg=YqW1b&pf_rd_r=4VK0K2Y398MVMPBABB9N&pd_rd_r=ee3cbf0b-33bb-11e9-b00f-bf29e400fc02

If you have any extra components installed like an aftermarket GPU you will likely need a beefier PSU. 

It was more a Brain-ographical error than typo . . .  290v is correct.  No aftermarket PSU.  I don't believe I'll have a power dilemma running this additional drive.  Do you?  I thought a splitter might be the best course of action, but two heads are better than one.

As long as you are not pulling any real additional power from it you should be ok.  SATA HDDs dont pull much wattage if that is all the extra you will be putting on that PSU.

• Thanks 1

Where would I plug this splitter into the Motherboard to acquire power?

It looks like the existing line has a male plug different that the one you showed in your link.  Perhaps you noticed I an a novice in all this!

Here is a Photo of the Motherboard where the HD Power Line is plugged.  Since the existing line splits between the Optical Drive and the HD this might be a situation where a 3-way splitter may be needed.

20190218_145112.jpg

Hi, I think you'll be looking for something like this SATA Power Cable Splitter and it will connect near where the original power cable connects to the first hard drive. The hard drive should have a data cable and a power cable attached. This will split the power cable, unless Dell has done something funky on the hard drive end. 

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Our picks

• We all want a simple DIY OTA TV recording solution. Watching television over the air is nothing new–people have been doing it for decades. Having the ability to bring a high definition signal into your home, record it and–in some cases–remove commercials, is definitely a game-changer in this space. The era of streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu and YouTube TV, have made cord-cutting virtually painless, as viewers can dump their pricey cable bundles and cable box rentals for cheaper streaming television services. But the questions has always been, what do I do about my local channels? 

Read the full post on Simple DIY OTA TV Recording and Viewing Options 
      • 0 replies
    • Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting And Repair
      You can perform Acer Chromebook troubleshooting with these steps. Chromebook issues can generally be addressed by resetting the device back to factory defaults, but if the issue is a hardware defect, you will need to first diagnose and then take measures to repair the machine. The following are some of the more common issues you may have with your Acer Chromebook. Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting To begin, many problems can be fixed simply by performing a factory reset of your Chromebook. This will ensure any changes you made to the computer since you received it are wiped out ...

Read more on Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting And Repair 

• 0 replies
  • Similar Content

• By tjsocca
      Hey guys, 
      So I thought my old HDD failed (constant start/stop and blue screen) so I bought a new one (this is for ASUS X540LA). Installed WIN 10 OS and everything was working fine (I did all this while keyboard wasn't completely installed and pressed down into clips). I put the keyboard back on completely and on startup the laptop went straight to BIOS. The HDD is now making a very short scratching sort of noise on startup and goes to BIOS every time. Any ideas on what this might be? 
      Thanks!
    • By Noreaster
      Good Day Folks!  I hope you can help me and I greatly appreciate any assistance.
      Problem: I am working on a build, where I need to take a 4TB drive, w/existing data, which needs to be preserved and relocate it to the new build as an internal drive.  I have removed the SATA drive from the housing and have attempted to install it in the new build.  The problem is WD uses a USB3 to SATA boardlet(small board) attached to the drive.  Without this piece, the Hard Drive is not recognized by Windows 10.  WD drives are not readily interchanged from Externals to Internals, without that USB3 to SATA converter board.
      Question:  How can I or what product(s) can be used to attach to the SATA drive to perform the sane function?
      NOTE:  While the HD is not recognized by Windows 10, unless it is connected to that HD's USB 3 to SATA III converter board, I can achieve the desired effect, by Simply plugging the Drive into a generic multi HD dock.  WITHOUT the need for the WD small controller board.
      So, it would seem to me if I can replicate the internals of that HD dock, using adapters/converter products, this may work.
      Again, the Drive will be mounted, so any adapters attached to the SATA drive would need to attach straight off the back(not anything mounted to the HD) and be of a somewhat compact sixe, OR, be run in-line/not physically attached to the HD directly, but attached via cable.
      I need to order a product/solution fairly soon, again I welcome any help.

With all due regards,
      Rich

• By davidb7869
      I met up with one of my clients to do some work on his laptop and he noticed that the hard drive was making a faint clicking sound every 5-6 seconds or so (you have to put you ear to where the hard drive is otherwise you can't hear it since we met at a grocery store); I told him he should back up whatever he had (standard procedure right?); I'm just confirming to see that it is something with the hard drive....the laptop is a ThinkPad T42 running Windows XP...
    • By Loubs
      After many hours of playing DOOM (2016) on a hard wooden surface (moderately ventilated), my hard drive started ticking. Laptop did a chkdsk on startup and got stuck at 73%. Repairman said hard drive failure probably due to overheating. I ordered an SSD instead and will get a cooling mat. I'm currently running of the primary SSD already in my laptop (it had an SSD and 1TB HDD). I haven't been gaming with it at all since then. I was using google maps and going into street view, with my laptop on a hard wooden desk in a well vented area, for many hours on end, and there were minor graphical issues on street view like it just going black, or not loading properly (despite it being an incredible graphics card), etc, and occasionally the laptop would instantly go into sleep mode. Eventually, it would stay in sleep mode and only turn on for a few seconds before going back. It only felt mildly warm. Called the guy and he said it's probably some kind of voltage error that is causing the graphics card to overheat, which also killed the hard drive, and that I should take it in to him asap.

So that's the entire story is as much detail as possible.

Specs:
      Asus ROG GL752VW
      Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      Intel i7-6700HQ ~2.6GHz, 8 cores
      16GB RAM
      GeForce GTX 960M ~12GB
      Intel HD Graphics 530 ~8GB
      DX12

I've had it since mid summer.

What do yous think? Is he on the money? Could there be another source? How fucked am I? It's a really fucking expensive laptop and I don't have insurance so I'm hoping to god it's fixable. I just want a second opinion.
    • By skyliine16
      Hi there. First post so I am sorry for any mistakes I make!
      First, I would like to drop this link:
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229285
      This is essentially the computer I own... not the best, not the worst. I purchased the PC from Newegg about 5 years ago so everything isn't obviously as new and updated as this one. For the first 2 years, my PC ran phenomenal.. until the graphic card pooped out on me. So I got a GeForce GTX 660, requiring a new power source. I gave it to a "friend of a friend" who built his PC for him, saying that he could do it. When I got my PC back, my hard drive was fried (doesn't power up at all) and when connecting a good HD, my PC still won't detect a hard drive plugged into my computer. I have wondered if all of the proper cords have been put into it because of the new power source, or if I am missing an essential one (maybe, maybe not).
      Its been almost 2 years since I have been able to use this beauty. I want to restore it to its old glory and play on it! PLEASE HELP!
      Billy W.