Jump to content
  • Join The PCTechBytes Community

    Welcome to PCTechBytes! Whether your a battle-seasoned geek or a technology novice, sign up for the free PCTechBytes forums to interact with other like-minded people. Get computer help or assist a fellow member and do your good deed for the day. The forums are heavily moderated and friendly, so join today and begin posting now!

  • 0
kemperhills

Bad hard drive???????

Question

I have a new WD hard drive that I bought several months back.  I installed it in a desktop, tried to install the OS and when I got to a certain point, can't remember where, it would go no further.  I was at the stage in the installation where the OS was supposed to show up in a square window.  At the bottom of the window was:  New, format, remove, load drivers, etc.

I tried several times with the same result.  Is something wrong with the HD, is something missing from the HD.  One messages said no drivers found.  

Model #:  WD50000AVVS-63M880

Serial #: WCAV92029152

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I think the AV drives are designed to work in DVRs. They are slow drives that are meant to just spin all the time. I have never tried to use one on a Windows Operating System, just old TiVOs. You may have to jump through some hoops to get it to work--maybe even a firmware update.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
13 minutes ago, Dave@Bytes said:

I think the AV drives are designed to work in DVRs. They are slow drives that are meant to just spin all the time. I have never tried to use one on a Windows Operating System, just old TiVOs. You may have to jump through some hoops to get it to work--maybe even a firmware update.

 

maybe even a firmware update

Thanks Dave, but how do I do that when the HD is not recognized?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

So the stock W7 installer you are using doesnt have the driver required for that drive, as Dave said it is an AV drive so Windows may be a bit confused.  To test that theory try inserting a different hdd and see if the install disc sees that one.

What is the make and model of the motherboard you are installing all of this on?  May be able to load the generic SATA drivers and it might function....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Dr_Bob said:

So the stock W7 installer you are using doesnt have the driver required for that drive, as Dave said it is an AV drive so Windows may be a bit confused.  To test that theory try inserting a different hdd and see if the install disc sees that one.

What is the make and model of the motherboard you are installing all of this on?  May be able to load the generic SATA drivers and it might function....

try inserting a different hdd and see if the install disc sees that one.

I did.  Had an HD pulled from another computer.  Computer recognized the HD and installed the OS.  The board is F2A55-M LK.  I had a 1TB HD in computer and was hardly using any of the HD so I wanted to install the AV HD which is a 500 GB HD.  But alas, it would work. 

By the way what is it about an AV drive.  Dave mentioned it was for DVR's but I think, if I read it right, an article on the web said it was for computers.  Thanks. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

Well, I am going to assume that the HD is bad.  My Computer, Device Manager, Windows Disk Manager, and EaseUS Partition Manager did not recognize the HD.

However, I did get it to show up in Device Manager once under Disks.  It showed up as a mass storage device. Also on boot, with the HD attached to the computer by USB adapter[the only way I can get the HD recognized]a Driver Installation Window opens but can't find any preconfigured files.

See below 

Untitled.png

Notice that the USB Mass Storage Device is searching.  The only problem is that it never finds anything and I let it search for about 30 minutes.

Edited by kemperhills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

It seems that Windows doesnt have the driver required for that drive like I said above.  Not sure we can find one for it since it is mainly meant to be used in AV equipment likely on a Linux flavor.  We can poke around but might be easier to use a dif HDD.

During an install the SATA driver here might work to make that HDD visable: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/F2A55M_LK/HelpDesk_Download/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, Dr_Bob said:

It seems that Windows doesnt have the driver required for that drive like I said above.  Not sure we can find one for it since it is mainly meant to be used in AV equipment likely on a Linux flavor.  We can poke around but might be easier to use a dif HDD.

During an install the SATA driver here might work to make that HDD visable: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/F2A55M_LK/HelpDesk_Download/

Well, I think I will just toss the HD and chalk it up to experience.  Heck, the HD was on sale for almost nothing.  So I have learned not to buy AV HD's.  Thanks guys.  

Just a thought, since the computer won't recognize the HD I am assuming trying to update the firmware, etc from WD is a no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

You can try to mount it in a Linux environment and update it but that may be more of a learning experience than needed :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 3/5/2019 at 3:40 PM, Dr_Bob said:

You can try to mount it in a Linux environment and update it but that may be more of a learning experience than needed :)

No go.  I will either use the HD for a paper weight of toss it in the trash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 3/7/2019 at 3:19 PM, kemperhills said:

No go.  I will either use the HD for a paper weight of toss it in the trash.

3/9/19-Well I couldn't sleep last night to I started playing the the HD again.  I connected the HD with a USB adapter and, never believing it would show up, I looked in Device Manager and there it was.  I shut down the computer and booted to BIOS and there it was.  I checked My Computer and the Reserved was recognized but the rest of the drive was listed and a disk.  So I opened EaseUS Partition Master, deleted all partitions, created a primary partition.  I then disconnected the main HD, connected the AV HD and it was recognized in Device Manager, Bios and My Computer.  So I installed W7 Pro x64 on the HD and the installation went without a hitch.  Then I tried to boot the computer from the HD.  After the BIOS screen a black screen appeared with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner but the computer would not boot.  I reinstalled W7 without a hitch and tried to boot but on got the cursor in the upper left hand corner and the computer wouldn't boot.  I tried to boot the computer a couple of more times but it wouldn't boot.  So I took the HD out, reinstalled the original HD and tossed the AV HD in the trash.  Oh well. better luck next time.:unsure::cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

Kemp,

Can you add this as a second HD then Format it ?

As Bob was saying run a Live CD and use Linux to format the drive to NTFS.

As Dave was saying these are for Video and Surveillance Drives

 

 

Edited by roadrage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, roadrage said:

Kemp,

Can you add this as a second HD then Format it ?

As Bob was saying run a Live CD and use Linux to format the drive to NTFS.

As Dave was saying these are for Video and Surveillance Drives

 

 

Can you add this as a second HD then Format it

Did that first and only got the blinking cursor. Then I attached the HD to the motherboard and got the same results. 

Misunderstood what Bob was saying will try the Live DC and see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



  • Our picks

    • We all want a simple DIY OTA TV recording solution. Watching television over the air is nothing new–people have been doing it for decades. Having the ability to bring a high definition signal into your home, record it and–in some cases–remove commercials, is definitely a game-changer in this space. The era of streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu and YouTube TV, have made cord-cutting virtually painless, as viewers can dump their pricey cable bundles and cable box rentals for cheaper streaming television services. But the questions has always been, what do I do about my local channels? 

      Read the full post on Simple DIY OTA TV Recording and Viewing Options 
      • 0 replies
    • Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting And Repair
      You can perform Acer Chromebook troubleshooting with these steps. Chromebook issues can generally be addressed by resetting the device back to factory defaults, but if the issue is a hardware defect, you will need to first diagnose and then take measures to repair the machine. The following are some of the more common issues you may have with your Acer Chromebook. Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting To begin, many problems can be fixed simply by performing a factory reset of your Chromebook. This will ensure any changes you made to the computer since you received it are wiped out ...

      Read more on Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting And Repair 

       
      • 0 replies
×
×
  • Create New...