• Join The PCTechBytes Community

Welcome to PCTechBytes! Whether your a battle-seasoned geek or a technology novice, sign up for the free PCTechBytes forums to interact with other like-minded people. Get computer help or assist a fellow member and do your good deed for the day. The forums are heavily moderated and friendly, so join today and begin posting now!

And I mean slow.  Every computer on the network is slow, and I mean slow.  We stream movies thru Roku and much of the the time it is so slow the darn thing buffers continually.  Sometimes every few minutes, sometimes to often I simply turn of the movie.  I have checked the download speed and it shows up a high 40's MB's.  I am assuming that is good, or at least fair.  We have ATT DSL around here but they are not accepted any more subscribers because the lines a loaded to the gills.  

We use Hughes Net Satellite, a piece of junk[IMO]and before I get in touch with them is there something else I need to check.  Is throughput the same a download.

So what do I do now.  Thanks. 

Try power cycling your router / modem and see if that helps. Just unplug it for a minute and then plug it back in. Are your Roku devices on WiFi or Ethernet, because that will matter as well. 

9 minutes ago, Dave@Bytes said:

Try power cycling your router / modem and see if that helps. Just unplug it for a minute and then plug it back in. Are your Roku devices on WiFi or Ethernet, because that will matter as well. 

Already tried power cycling the router.  Did no good.  The Roku is on WiFi and the download speed is for the wireless.  Thanks. 

So are you using Satellite or DSL?  If Satellite you may have reached your data limit and they are throttling you.  With Satellite it is all about the UP speed not the DOWN, fyi.

52 minutes ago, Dr_Bob said:

So are you using Satellite or DSL?  If Satellite you may have reached your data limit and they are throttling you.  With Satellite it is all about the UP speed not the DOWN, fyi.

Well, I guess I am in trouble then the up speed was around 10 MB

That would really make me mad if they were throttling me, but that might very well be the case. To make matters worse, you're probably paying a lot for that service. 

So those are your only two options? No 5G cell towers going up around you? I have gigabit fiber service now, but 5G is going to blow that away. Maybe that will be an option for you in the near future depending on where you live.

5 hours ago, Dave@Bytes said:

That would really make me mad if they were throttling me, but that might very well be the case. To make matters worse, you're probably paying a lot for that service. 

So those are your only two options? No 5G cell towers going up around you? I have gigabit fiber service now, but 5G is going to blow that away. Maybe that will be an option for you in the near future depending on where you live.

Well, the thing worked fine until the trial period ran out and it has been getting worse steadly.  When the contract runs out I am going to try ViaSat and see if it works any better. Thanks. 

Yea during the trial period they have you on an unlimited line.  We also have Hughesnet as a secondary internet since we live in a rural area and its usually hot garbage.  I would call them and complain and perhaps they will be able to help out on their end or send you a new modem if yours is outdated.

On 3/21/2019 at 6:20 PM, Dave@Bytes said:

Dave, there is ATT DSL here but the lines are so loaded that they won't accept any new subscribers.  Our only option here, at the present, is satellite internet;  which IMO is junk. 

On 3/22/2019 at 10:29 AM, Dr_Bob said:

Yea during the trial period they have you on an unlimited line.  We also have Hughesnet as a secondary internet since we live in a rural area and its usually hot garbage.  I would call them and complain and perhaps they will be able to help out on their end or send you a new modem if yours is outdated.

Already contacted them.  According to them everything is working properly, the speeds are correct.

So when the contract expires, Hughes Net expires. 

And, as Dave said, it really makes me angry, especially for what we are paying for the service.