• Join The PCTechBytes Community

Welcome to PCTechBytes! Whether your a battle-seasoned geek or a technology novice, sign up for the free PCTechBytes forums to interact with other like-minded people. Get computer help or assist a fellow member and do your good deed for the day. The forums are heavily moderated and friendly, so join today and begin posting now!

kemperhills

Just having fun

Posted (edited)

I had an 80 GB IDE HDD that was brand new sitting on a shelf still in the anti-static bag.  I got to wondering what I could do with the HDD.  A storage HDD sounded good but my motherboard doesn't support IDE.  So, brilliant computer tech that I am:laugh:, I went on the web and sought to find out if it was possible to attach an IDE HDD to a SATA board.  I really didn't think it was possible, but I found a IDE>SATA/SATA>IDE adapter that said I could attach an IDE HDD to a SATA board.  The adapter was only nine dollars so I ordered it, connected it, and to my amazement it worked.

Now I have and IDE HDD attached to a SATA motherboard with everything I have stored on thumb drives on the IDE HDD.  Now, and it has happened before, if a thumb drive dies I can to the the IDE HDD and install all files on another thumb drive.:cool: 

I just hope that the adapter is of a good enough quality that it lasts.

Edited by kemperhills

Posted (edited)

Hey Kemp,

You did good,  now also get some new thumb drives to to save your important files from the new HD :tongue:

Just to relate to this,  my Android phone only came with 2 Gig's for my ssd,  it was telling me I needed more space, I found a deal on Amazon for a 62 Gig to hump my 2Gig,  I hope it was worth it as it was real cheap,  I am happy for now knock on wood :biggrin:

Edited by roadrage

Just an FYI for future use but not sure if it would have been cheaper is a PCI IDE card.  Basically does the same thing.

14 hours ago, roadrage said:

Hey Kemp,

You did good,  now also get some new thumb drives to to save your important files from the new HD :tongue:

Just to relate to this,  my Android phone only came with 2 Gig's for my ssd,  it was telling me I needed more space, I found a deal on Amazon for a 62 Gig to hump my 2Gig,  I hope it was worth it as it was real cheap,  I am happy for now knock on wood :biggrin:

Have a handful of 8 GB, some 32 GB drives in my drawer just waiting for the inevitable.  Before I started "backing up" my thumb drives I had and 8 GB drive almost full of utilities that I used went bad.  I used it one day to install, say, Hitman Pro and the next time I tried to use it the darn thing wouldn't work.  Took me a long time to get back what I lost when the drive went South.:rolleyes::cool:

3 hours ago, Dr_Bob said:

Just an FYI for future use but not sure if it would have been cheaper is a PCI IDE card.  Basically does the same thing.

Never heard of such a beast.  Thanks, will remember that for future reference