• Join The PCTechBytes Community

Welcome to PCTechBytes! Whether your a battle-seasoned geek or a technology novice, sign up for the free PCTechBytes forums to interact with other like-minded people. Get computer help or assist a fellow member and do your good deed for the day. The forums are heavily moderated and friendly, so join today and begin posting now!

kemperhills

I'm confused 2

Posted (edited)

I have a USB motherboard[I think that is what it would be called] that accepts an MX200 mSATA SSD.  The SSD was in an Acer tablet that I bricked:sad:.  I mounted the SSD on the motherboard??? and inserted it into a USB port. I had the desktop board BIOs set to boot from USB.  When I booted the desktop it tried to boot from the SSD but would open screen saying something about running a repair thingy.  As the SSD was out of the tablet it wouldn't boot.

So, I used US Partition Master, deleted all partitions, created one primary partition an tried to install W7 on the 250 GB SSD.  It would not install.   

I have the desktop BIOS to boot from USB, the SSD is first in boot order and when I tried to install W7 on the SSD everything progressed fine until I had to select where to install W7.  When I selected the SSD a message said that Windows could not be installed.

Now my question:  Since the BIOS recognizes the SDD as well as Device Manager, ans it shows up in My Computer, is there not at way to install W7 on the SSD inserted in a USB port.  Remember the SSD tried to boot when W7 was already installed ob the SSD.  Thanks

PS:  I finally found a browser that installs on XP and works perfectly on the internet:biggrin::laugh:

have

Edited by kemperhills

Can you link what motherboard you are talking about or a pic?  Not sure exactly what we are dealing with here.

6 minutes ago, Dr_Bob said:

Can you link what motherboard you are talking about or a pic?  Not sure exactly what we are dealing with here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-to-Mini-PCIE-mSATA-SSD-mSATA-to-USB-3-0-SSD-not-need-USB-cable/123089176171?epid=16018293713&hash=item1ca8afc66b:g:pqIAAOSwTdda2bu7

My bad.  I had to look it up and they call it an adapter.

First question is how is the SSD formatted?  With the W7 disk you should be able to delete all partitions and format to its liking.

3 hours ago, Dr_Bob said:

First question is how is the SSD formatted?  With the W7 disk you should be able to delete all partitions and format to its liking.

I formatted with USEase Partition Master after creating the primary partition.  No go on formatting with W7 disk.  When the installation gets to that point format, new, etc is grayed out.  Thanks.

Don't worry about it.  Just a retired person playing around to ward of boredom.  I get something into my head and I try to find a way to accomplish it.  Saw another adapter on e-bay that converts the SSD to SATA.  Will probably get that adapter and do it that way.  Waste of time, probably:ohmy:.  But when all you have is time it is fun just to try.  muchas gracias Bob, I always appreciate the help.  

Posted (edited)

yes it may be a waste of time and money or not,  sent you a pm :biggrin:

Edited by roadrage

7 hours ago, roadrage said:

yes it may be a waste of time and money or not,  sent you a pm :biggrin:

Thanks roadrage.