• Join The PCTechBytes Community

Welcome to PCTechBytes! Whether your a battle-seasoned geek or a technology novice, sign up for the free PCTechBytes forums to interact with other like-minded people. Get computer help or assist a fellow member and do your good deed for the day. The forums are heavily moderated and friendly, so join today and begin posting now!

Question

Evening partygoers,

I'm in the process of doing a pc build. The motherboard is a ASRock Fatal1ty z97. The cpu is an i5-4690k. The problem is that the computer (with just the mobo/fan and chip) will turn on and run for about 30 seconds, power down for about 3 seconds and starts back up and is the same cycle over and over. The psu is a 750w so I don't think that should be a problem with what little I have running. First I thought is might be RAM because I  didn't realize I was running 1.5 in a 1.3. That didn't fix the issue so I went to the very basics.

Yes, I did reset the bios several time but since the computer has never actually ran consistently trying to reset the bios was never a problem solver. I have I have tightened all screws and check for lose connections but there doesn't seem to be any issues. The motherboard IS used but my friend would never send me a board that had problems that he would have known about. I also called a local pc shop to see if they could run a POST but once they were given my 411 they said no.

Thanks in advance.

8 answers to this question

Hi. Anytime I have strange issues like this I always try and boot the board outside of the case on a non-conductive surface and manually bypass the case switch by shorting the power on pins using a flathead screwdriver. This eliminates anything grounding out from the case or any potential issues with the switch. Just be careful if you go that route. 

@Dave, I have bypassed the power switch.

Runs turns off etc etc. It doesn't even shut down long enough for the PC fan to stop spinning. 

Is the CPU new or was it from another system?  Do you have another setup you can install it in to test it is fully functional?

Dr. Bob, no I do not have a secondary system to test the CPU. The CPU is from another system. 

I know the PSU is in good order. I did a check on each individual node and all of the readings came back as they should. There is no way to test this with out the CPU in the board is there? 

Thanks for your help with all of this.

No unfortunately you have to have a CPU, 1 stick of RAM, motherboard, and PSU as a minimum.  The reason I point to the CPU is that this behavior is usually linked to the CPU and motherboard not communicating.  Any PC shop should be able to drop in a known good CPU and have that system POST to prove/disprove the CPU is the culprit.

I would at least remove the CPU completely from the motherboard and reinstall it just to see if it sparks anything.  While doing so look at the CPU pins and see if any of them are slightly off.  I have seen the pins on the motherboard be slightly bent and after fixing them the system would boot.  Same for back when the pins were actually on the CPU itself.....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Our picks

• We all want a simple DIY OTA TV recording solution. Watching television over the air is nothing new–people have been doing it for decades. Having the ability to bring a high definition signal into your home, record it and–in some cases–remove commercials, is definitely a game-changer in this space. The era of streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu and YouTube TV, have made cord-cutting virtually painless, as viewers can dump their pricey cable bundles and cable box rentals for cheaper streaming television services. But the questions has always been, what do I do about my local channels? 

Read the full post on Simple DIY OTA TV Recording and Viewing Options 
      • 0 replies
    • Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting And Repair
      You can perform Acer Chromebook troubleshooting with these steps. Chromebook issues can generally be addressed by resetting the device back to factory defaults, but if the issue is a hardware defect, you will need to first diagnose and then take measures to repair the machine. The following are some of the more common issues you may have with your Acer Chromebook. Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting To begin, many problems can be fixed simply by performing a factory reset of your Chromebook. This will ensure any changes you made to the computer since you received it are wiped out ...

Read more on Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting And Repair 

• 0 replies
  • Similar Content

• By Lolrider
      Hey all, I've been having some computer problems.  I've been trying to do my own research and troubleshooting, but I haven't had a lot of luck, so I figured I'd throw this out into the internet and see if someone could maybe shed some light on my situation.
      So, uh, long story short, my computer is functionally unusable.  It starts up, and I can log in, access BIOS, etc. but if I have the computer running for any period of time, I inevitably end up experiencing problems.  This occurs when I'm browsing the web, when I'm playing games, when I'm running testing software, and sometimes when I'm not doing anything at all whatsoever.
      There have been a couple of symptoms:
      I've been experiencing some artifacting and general visual distortion; a checkerboard pattern, where some squares aren't displaying; a more elongated version of the same checkerboard
      patter, horizontal rather than vertical; and a jittery, stuttering distortion like an old VHS tape.  Sometimes this artifacting is present at start-up, sometimes they only occur after the computer has been running for a period of time.  I briefly considered that my monitor might be the problem, but these are not the only issues, and the artifacting is not consistent.
      Additionally, my Nvidia drivers crash and occasionally restart, giving me a line like "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered."  Or, that's my assumption, because sometimes things just crash and nothing restarts at all.  I've had both BSoDs and freezing related (I think) to this problem.
      I tried to do some troubleshooting, but when I removed my RAM, my computer all of the sudden wouldn't boot at all.  I thought I had jostled something, but I'm actually not sure.
      To explain further, I could hear the power supply start up, and see lights, but after a few seconds there would be a click, everything would shut down, and then start up again almost immediately afterwards.  This seemed to continue forever, or would have if I let it.  To be clear, NOTHING seemed to be loading, no BIOS, no OS start-up.  Nothing.  
      I tried to fix the new problem by messing with my RAM, and ended up with a weird issue, which I took a picture of.  Eventually, I resat the RAM and managed to get everything working the way it was before.  
      The original problem still exists, though.
      My initial assumption was that this was a GPU problem since I've had similar issues in the past with drivers and such, however, solutions I've used in the past haven't worked this time, and the symptoms this time are far beyond what I've experienced previously, as well as beyond what I would expect GPU problems to cause.
      The only other options that come to mind are the RAM, Motherboard, or the CPU, but I don't really have any prior experience with those types of failures.  Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if there were multiple failures.  I've had a lot of bad luck with this rig.
      Either way, I appreciate whatever help anyone can give me.
      As I was in the process of writing this, I realized I could probably use the BSoD error messages to learn more about the issues I was having, but unfortunately my computer doesn't even reliably crash anymore. I've been trying all day so far and I haven't even been able to access my desktop, and the one BSoD I DID have ended early when my computer rebooted itself.
      I'll update my post if or when I manage to get an actual error message transcribed.
    • By Dovha
      I just upgraded my Motherboard to an Asus Z170-A, and got an Intel I5 Skylake processor.  Everything is installed in an Antec 300 case.  I got everything plugged in and set up but when I turn on my PC, none of the peripherals will light up or power on.  The monitor will say it's not connected to a system and the keyboard and mouse won't even light up.  All the fans and LEDS in the case and motherboard, along with the fan on the CPU heatsink work, but it seem the rear USB outlets aren't working.
      Did I get a faulty MoBo with no working connections or could the problem just be me being a dumbass and not having the mobo connected right?
    • By jakelevi97
      Hi - thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

I've been having a battle with my PC ever since I installed some new RAM and an SSHD. I just bought a POST card and a mobo speaker to help diagnose it, and it's only made the problem less clear! The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H.

When I boot up, the fans all spin up, and the POST card's LED display shows 1519, followed by 0304 and then a brief flash of 1910. Every few second, the speaker sounds like it is trying to beep, but just 'clicks', sounding a bit like a cough (I've tried replacing the speaker, and same deal). After 1910, the fans slow down, the speaker coughs and then it starts again (1519, fans spin up fast etc)
      It's got a Haswell i5 CPU, 2TB SSHD and 2TB HDD, and a 7770HD GPU. I've done all the normal troubleshooting stuff (I've removed every part and tried it etc). I've also done a full PSU test. 

Any ideas? I'd really appreciate any help! :)

Thanks,

JL
    • By casdes
      I am having a problem when I try to play a game on my computer. I start up the game and anytime within instant-2hours, my pc will go to a black screen as if it has shut down but the fans are still spinning.
      The error code I get is ID=41 which is kernel power, but after researching for a while, I can't find a solid answer as to which component may be at fault.

Specs (parts around 4-5 years old, minus GPU):
      Games affected that I have noticed so far:
      Information:
      Things that I have done to try to diagnose/fix the problem:
      I don't have a spare PSU or one that I could borrow, otherwise I would try that.
      Have a feeling it might be my PSU but I'm not 100% sure. I think this because when it boots up again, the leds in the PSU change back to default blue when I set them to white, and I can't seem to find any problems elsewhere. I guess I'm looking for some confirmation before I buy a new one. Have posted on lots of other places, including reddit, linux tech tips etc but no one seems to know or can help.
      Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    • By DOTA 2
      my Motherboard -->http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=... GA-P55-USB3
      my motherboard says 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16) (Note 2) (The PCIEX16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

===>Does this mean mean that I can't use Graphic cards with Interface PCI Express x16 3.0 ? but only PCI Express x16 2.0 ??
      Can u tell me which of these 3 graphic cards can run with my moterboard ? 1)Gigabyte GeForce GTX750 Ti 2GB WindForce 2X OC (GV-N75TOC-2GI) or 2) VTX3D Radeon R9 270 2GB X-Edition ,(both 1,2 are PCI Express 3.0 ) 3)  GeForce GT 730 this one is PCI Express 2.0

Thanks