• Join The PCTechBytes Community

Welcome to PCTechBytes! Whether your a battle-seasoned geek or a technology novice, sign up for the free PCTechBytes forums to interact with other like-minded people. Get computer help or assist a fellow member and do your good deed for the day. The forums are heavily moderated and friendly, so join today and begin posting now!

kemperhills

Can't install Windows or Ubuntu

Question

When I try to install Windows 7 Pro, as the installation is finishing, I get the following message.  

Install Windows

Windows could not complete the installation.  To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation.

I have tried several times using different HDD's and I get the same message every time.  

Also, if I try to install Ubuntu 18, a short time after clicking "install" I get and error meassage at the top of the that says "error wwww reading.........

So, why can't I install anything on this computer.  

9 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

Hi Kemp,

Make sure you are unplugged from the internet,  unless you already are.

Windows 7 Pro

Is this an older computer you are installing to ? if it is chances are the motherboard or CPU is not advanced enough for the Windows 7 Pro Edition Installation.  Is it a 64 bit disc or 32 bit ? 

Ubuntu 18
Was Ubuntu burned properly to a CD or DVD Disc,  insert the disc into your DVD/CD player and checkout the properties of the disc and let us know. 

Also are you installing it or just running it from a Live CD,  try running it first without installing it,  run it as a Live CD so it just uses your RAM instead of installing to your hard drive.

:cool:

Edited by roadrage

Is it a 64 bit disc or 32 bit ? 

It is 32 bit and I have installed W7 with this board before.

Was Ubuntu burned properly to a CD or DVD Disc,

Have used the disk before to install.  Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Also are you installing it or just running it from a Live CD,  try running it first without installing it,  run it as a Live CD so it just uses your RAM instead of installing to your hard drive.

Did you try the above for UBUNTU ?

Edited by roadrage

21 hours ago, roadrage said:

Did you try the above for UBUNTU ?

Well, things have gotten worse.  When I power on the computer, after BIOS I now get the following.  

Strike F1 to try to reboot, F2 for setup utility.  

No matter what I do I can't get past this.  

Sounds like you have a hardware issue that is gradually getting worse.....  To eliminate the HDD, unplug it totally and put in the Ubuntu disk and run it as a Live CD not as an install.  If it works fine, then HDD.  If it still doesnt, remove one stick of RAM and try Live CD again.  IF it works, bad stick of RAM.  If not, remove other stick, replace with the previously removed stick and try the Live CD again.  If it works, bad RAM.  If not continue the troubleshooting.

Report back after trying the above.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:30 AM, Dr_Bob said:

Sounds like you have a hardware issue that is gradually getting worse.....  To eliminate the HDD, unplug it totally and put in the Ubuntu disk and run it as a Live CD not as an install.  If it works fine, then HDD.  If it still doesnt, remove one stick of RAM and try Live CD again.  IF it works, bad stick of RAM.  If not, remove other stick, replace with the previously removed stick and try the Live CD again.  If it works, bad RAM.  If not continue the troubleshooting.

Report back after trying the above.

Thanks Bob, already tried the one stick of RAM at a time.  Will try the Ubuntu without the HDD and see what happens.  

Problem solved.  Stumbled on an article dealing with this problem.  Said to shut down computer, disconnect PS and hold the power button for 15 seconds.  Then remove the battery and hold the power button for 15 seconds.  This solved the boot problem but the graphics drover reverted to the standard Microsoft graphics driver and the only resolution available was 640-480.  I couldn't change any setting or adjust anything because the buttons like apply was off the screen.

I finally found the graphics driver and now the board is working fine for such an antiquated board that won't run anything past XP.  Thanks for the help.

If I win the lottery the first thing Im going to buy is a new PC for you, lol.  Then you wont deal with these headaches.  At least it is a good way to learn how to diagnose and fix pesky issues.

Posted (edited)

Hey Dr,

Can you buy me something to,  I need a car or a house,  both would be nice...just saying :biggrin:

Hey kemp,

That is great,  I do have one question though.

This solved the boot problem but the graphics drover

Whats a drover ?  is that hillbilly language for something... :tongue:

Is that like I drove her (drover) here and I drove her (drover) there I drive her (driver) everywhere.

Edited by roadrage