• Join The PCTechBytes Community

Welcome to PCTechBytes! Whether your a battle-seasoned geek or a technology novice, sign up for the free PCTechBytes forums to interact with other like-minded people. Get computer help or assist a fellow member and do your good deed for the day. The forums are heavily moderated and friendly, so join today and begin posting now!

kemperhills

Need advice on building my son a gaming computer

My son is a very good gamer.  Great, well I don't know, but he is a very good gamer.  He said he wanted me to build him a gaming computer but I have no idea about how to build a gaming computer.  He knows it will be expensive.

I think I know that a gaming computer needs lots of memory and storage so I was thinking about 16 GB memory with a 1 or 2 TB HDD.  Other than that I have no idea what to do.  Suggestions please.  And please some of you techies  share with me some of you knowledge.  

Sometimes people don't like to give advice or suggestions for they fear if things don't go right they will be blamed.  When I ask for advice or suggestions and I take that advice or suggestion then it's on me.  So sound of guys.  Thanks. 

Really depends on what kind of games he plays.

16GB is fine for the RAM. Get two 8GB sticks so you can expand later with the other two slots, if necessary.

For my rig, I have a 1TB SSD I use for my "current games" and a 1TB drive for games I'm not currently playing. Steam makes it easy to move the location of the game around, but anyway....Games will run better on the SSD, but they should work fine if you want to save money and just get the spinning drive. 

Question is, what processor? I9, I7, or I5?

The biggest expense will be the video card. 

Again, it really depends on the games he plays. Some games are more graphics card dependent, while others are more CPU dependent. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Dave@Bytes said:

Really depends on what kind of games he plays.

16GB is fine for the RAM. Get two 8GB sticks so you can expand later with the other two slots, if necessary.

For my rig, I have a 1TB SSD I use for my "current games" and a 1TB drive for games I'm not currently playing. Steam makes it easy to move the location of the game around, but anyway....Games will run better on the SSD, but they should work fine if you want to save money and just get the spinning drive. 

Question is, what processor? I9, I7, or I5?

The biggest expense will be the video card. 

Again, it really depends on the games he plays. Some games are more graphics card dependent, while others are more CPU dependent.   

Thanks Dave, hadn't thought about what CPU and didn't know that some games were more CPU dependent while others are more GPU dependent.  Will have to talk to him about his games, and what games he hopes to play.

I would think at least an I7 on the CPU but have no idea what GPU.  Any suggestions?

Edited by kemperhills

I run a EVGA 1080Ti, but it looks like they just shot up in price again. I would not advise you to spend $1300 on a video card. I put a price tracker on it and waited a few months until it dropped down for a day or two. 

I'm sure the others will have recommendations, but the Nvidia 2080 is a decent card. 2080 will run you around $700 ish, while the 2070 will be a little less. 

If money is no object, I'd do the 2080Ti

Posted (edited)

Here is a basic speccy shot of my computer specs below,  you should have Windows 10 64 Bit because a few games or coming out for 64 Bit systems and the Ram size of greater than 4 Gigs needs a 64 Bit board.

I and others here have Steam the gaming site,  it runs with a client application to run the games they sell on the site as well as other sites like Steam,  but I prefer Steam as it has more selections and sometimes you can get a good game on sale,  but back to my system for games,  I have ARC, Subnautica and these require some force from your board, ram and hard drive.

My suggestions would be at least:

Operating System:
Windows 10-64 Bit

Motherboard:
64 Bit,  no if and and but's

Ram:
At least 8-Gigs or greater

CPU:

A good one...prices will very but your motherboard will determine what it can handle

Hard Drive:
Make it a whopper because game sizes can be huge,  up to 100 Gigs and greater plus updates. If you can go SSD or what ever you decide on get two hard drives,  one for your OS and the other for storing games on and music etc...I am thinking at least 250-500 Gigs for your main HD and a Terabyte or above for game storage,  myself I would not use an external HD because it may not be able to pull the information fast enough during game play from the USB port.

Video Card:
You need one to handle the games you have because they are very graphical now days and need something to handle the colors and game play speed,  you don't want a video card that will make the game lag,  you need something that can handle 60 FPS (frames per second).

Sound:

I have a 5.1 surround sound,  Stereo's just don't cut it,  sound affects are nice,  you can hear the ambiance during game play and depending on the game jump out of your skin because you were not expecting that surprise.

ScreenShot002.jpg

Edited by roadrage

21 hours ago, roadrage said:

Here is a basic speccy shot of my computer specs below,  you should have Windows 10 64 Bit because a few games or coming out for 64 Bit systems and the Ram size of greater than 4 Gigs needs a 64 Bit board.

I and others here have Steam the gaming site,  it runs with a client application to run the games they sell on the site as well as other sites like Steam,  but I prefer Steam as it has more selections and sometimes you can get a good game on sale,  but back to my system for games,  I have ARC, Subnautica and these require some force from your board, ram and hard drive.

My suggestions would be at least:

Operating System:
Windows 10-64 Bit

Motherboard:
64 Bit,  no if and and but's

Ram:
At least 8-Gigs or greater

CPU:

A good one...prices will very but your motherboard will determine what it can handle

Hard Drive:
Make it a whopper because game sizes can be huge,  up to 100 Gigs and greater plus updates. If you can go SSD or what ever you decide on get two hard drives,  one for your OS and the other for storing games on and music etc...I am thinking at least 250-500 Gigs for your main HD and a Terabyte or above for game storage,  myself I would not use an external HD because it may not be able to pull the information fast enough during game play from the USB port.

Video Card:
You need one to handle the games you have because they are very graphical now days and need something to handle the colors and game play speed,  you don't want a video card that will make the game lag,  you need something that can handle 60 FPS (frames per second).

Sound:

I have a 5.1 surround sound,  Stereo's just don't cut it,  sound affects are nice,  you can hear the ambiance during game play and depending on the game jump out of your skin because you were not expecting that surprise.

ScreenShot002.jpg

Thanks roadrage.