• Join The PCTechBytes Community

Welcome to PCTechBytes! Whether your a battle-seasoned geek or a technology novice, sign up for the free PCTechBytes forums to interact with other like-minded people. Get computer help or assist a fellow member and do your good deed for the day. The forums are heavily moderated and friendly, so join today and begin posting now!

Mred52

screen will not stay on long enough to change options

Question

trying clean install of Windows 10.  Screens go on so fast that I don't have time to choose options.  Goes to "install now" and then goes to black screen.  Sounds like its working but nothing ever happens.  Doesn' even give me time to do anything in BIOS. Sony Vaio all in one.

7 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Mred52 said:

trying clean install of Windows 10.  Screens go on so fast that I don't have time to choose options.  Goes to "install now" and then goes to black screen.  Sounds like its working but nothing ever happens.  Doesn' even give me time to do anything in BIOS. Sony Vaio all in one.

Just curious, do you have TWO video cards in that system? Like an onboard video card and a separate graphics card? The installer might be switching to the onboard card and you may not have a video cable connected to it. 

3 hours ago, Dave@Bytes said:

Just curious, do you have TWO video cards in that system? Like an onboard video card and a separate graphics card? The installer might be switching to the onboard card and you may not have a video cable connected to it. 

No.  It is an all in one.  Everything is built into motherboard.

How is it connected? HDMI, VGA cable? If your computer and motherboard supports VGA (and if you have a VGA cable, try connecting that and be sure to change the input on the monitor to VGA. I doubt this is the issue, but it's best to be safe and try that first.

What are you installing from? Did you download the installer direct from Microsoft or do you have a Windows 10 disk? You can get the very latest installer from Microsoft here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

1 hour ago, Dave@Bytes said:

How is it connected? HDMI, VGA cable? If your computer and motherboard supports VGA (and if you have a VGA cable, try connecting that and be sure to change the input on the monitor to VGA. I doubt this is the issue, but it's best to be safe and try that first.

What are you installing from? Did you download the installer direct from Microsoft or do you have a Windows 10 disk? You can get the very latest installer from Microsoft here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I appreciate your answer, but you don't seem to understand this is an all in one.  Monitor and computer all integrated together in one piece. No video outputs, no video cords, no video card that I can change out.  Has nothing to do with disk. I have tried Windows 7, Windows 10, and even Linux. I was able to actually get Linux Mint started but soon as I clicked on main page screen went black and did not come back. Thanks. 

Can you list the exact model number?  It has fast boot enabled making it hard to get into BIOS or select a different boot option....

3 minutes ago, Dr_Bob said:

Can you list the exact model number?  It has fast boot enabled making it hard to get into BIOS or select a different boot option....

Thanks.  It is Sony Vaio  Model # PCG-2P2L.

This is from the manual for that model: (After powering on immediately start pressing the F2 button fast until BIOS appears)

How can I change the boot device order?
You can use one of the BIOS functions to change the boot device order. Follow these steps:
1 Turn on your computer.
2 Press the F2 key when the VAIO logo appears.
The BIOS setup screen appears. If not, restart the computer and press the F2 key several times when the VAIO logo
appears.
3 Press the < or , key to select Boot.
4 Press the M or m key to select your desired priority under Boot Priority and press the Enter key.
5 Press the M or m key to select the device to which you want to assign the priority and press the Enter key.
6 Press the < or , key to select Exit, select Exit Setup, and then press the Enter key.
At the confirmation prompt, press the Enter key.

I know Vaio laptops have a Sony assist button so if the above doesn't work and you have one on the AIO somewhere use this guide: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00122597