• Welcome to PCTechBytes

Hello and welcome to PCTechBytes. We have been providing free computer repair help online since 2003. Feel free to browse the forums, but when you're ready to ask a question or comment, please be sure to register. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LadyJ4572

Windows 98 mfc42.dll errors

right after Windows 98 boots up an error message comes up saying: error starting program the updmgr.exe file is linked to missing export mfc42.dll:6929 and I try to run pc doctor and an error comes up saying:error starting program pcbugdoctor is linked to missing export mfc42.dll:6663 then another error saying: C: program files\pcbugdoctor\pcbugdoctor.exe

a device attached to the system is not functioning

Can someone PLEASE help me?

Try START, RUN and type msconfig.

Under the startup tab, look for something referring to updmgr.exe and uncheck the box. Save and Exit. Reboot.

Did the problem stop?

yes that solved the first error but now i'm getting an error message when starting up pcbugdoctor the error says: error starting program the pcbugdoctor.exe file is linked to missing report mfc42.dll:6663 then another error comes up saying c:programfiles\pcbugdoctor\pcbugdoctor.exe\ a device attached to the system is not functioning can this be fixed? I tryied uninstalling and reinstalling and re downloading and that doesn't work

I have exactly the same problem, to the word. Also, though it could be a separate problem, my control panel can take up to 30 seconds to appear, and similarily some applications crash and can only be killed with from the ctrl-delete close window.

In fact I downloaded PcBugDoctor specifically to see if it could figure out what was wrong. I have replaced MFC42.DLL ( a search revealed that there is only one copy of this file on my system) and rebooted, but to no avail.

Can anyone throw any light?

I have exactly the same problem, to the word. Also, though it could be a separate problem, my control panel can take up to 30 seconds to appear, and similarily some applications crash and can only be killed with from the ctrl-delete close window.

In fact I downloaded PcBugDoctor specifically to see if it could figure out what was wrong. I have replaced MFC42.DLL ( a search revealed that there is only one copy of this file on my system) and rebooted, but to no avail.

Can anyone throw any light?

replacing the file is the right idea but you have one more step

open a dos prompt by clicking start run then type "command" and press enter

then in the dos window type cd c:\windows\system32 and press enter

then type regsvr32.exe mfc42.dll and press enter

that will allow windows to re-register the mfc42.dll and allow applications to use it again

Here is my current mfc42.dll problem that occurs when I'm trying to launch mspaint:

MSPAINT caused an invalid page fault in

module MFC42.DLL at 0167:5f40f9eb.

Registers:

EAX=00000000 CS=0167 EIP=5f40f9eb EFLGS=00010202

EBX=00680c94 SS=016f ESP=0056f91c EBP=0056f940

ECX=00007fff DS=016f ESI=00691330 FS=18b7

EDX=0001c3a4 ES=016f EDI=0056f950 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

89 48 58 8b 45 fc 3b 47 0c 7c cf 33 f6 39 77 0c

Stack dump:

00000001 00680c94 00680c94 00000300 00000008 00691330 0056f998 00680c94 00000008 0056f9a4 5f4666b6 0056f950 00000000 5f49f438 5f49e488 006912a0

I've reinstalled, ran regedit and it still continues to pop up. I've also removed the mspaint program and then added it again but I'm still stumped.

• Who Was Online

• Our picks

• This HP Computer Repair Guide was created for those HP users out there that are either trying to recover from a system crash or are waiting for the inevitable and paralyzed with fear because they will not know what to do when it happens. You have no Windows install disk, after all. What will happen […]

Read more on our HP Computer Repair Guide Tips and Diagnostics Tutorials
      • 0 replies
    • When we think of survival gadgets, we might think of a compass, a foil blanket or an all-in-one tool to saw down trees, open cans and light your fire. While those gadgets are certainly great to have in an emergency, this is a technology website, so we are going to show you the best tech gadgets for survival should any geek step outdoors. 

Read more on  The Best Tech Survival Gadgets In An Emergency Situation 

• 0 replies
    • The cable companies have you, and they know it. Or do they? This guide to cord cutting will help you wiggle out of the bundle trap you have been ensnared in for the past several years. Cord-cutting is no longer a myth and our guide will explain how to overcome some of the pitfalls you may be concerned about.

Read more on PCTechBytes Cord Cutting Guide Secret Tips and Tricks here.

• 0 replies