In this age of digital privacy, having a VPN is an absolute necessity. A Virtual Private Network is a secure, point to point, encrypted network connection that can be used for a multitude of reasons, of which privacy should be the main focus. Your ISP tracks your every move, and so does the multitude of websites and browsers you use on a daily basis. The best VPN service we found for maintaining your privacy and anonymity–along with reliability and ease of use–is ProtonVPN.
Why We Chose ProtonVPN As The Best VPN Service
We’ve tried other VPN services and have had mixed results with them. Some were really good, while some didn’t make you feel as secure as you should. Others were simply not reliable. We actually chose ProtonVPN, not because of their VPN service, but because we have been using ProtonMail for years and know the company is committed to privacy and security.
Yes, we pay for email.
ProntonMail and ProtonVPN both have free versions, but their paid service is a small price to pay knowing you are getting additional features and contributing to the safety and security of the Internet.
The Key Benefits Of Using The ProtonVPN Service
First and foremost, we are not recommending you use a VPN to commit any illegal activities. A VPN should be used to protect your Internet traffic and provide you with a layer or anonymity you would not typically have. For example, if you are in a hotel or coffee shop, you would like your Internet activity to be encrypted and secure and not vulnerable to prying eyes.
You can specifically use ProtonVPN to do the following:
- Tor over VPN, which allows users to access the Tor network through the ProtonVPN network with just a single click.
- Secure Streaming, allowing you to watch Netflix or other streaming services if you are travelling.
- Kill Switch, which immediately blocks all network traffic if the VPN connection is interrupted. When enabled, this prevents your true IP address from being exposed.
- Always-on, and automatically reconnects you to their VPN server if you get disconnected.
- Secure Core servers installed in Iceland, Sweden and Switzerland, chosen by ProtonVPN because these countries have strong Privacy laws.
How To Install A VPN
ProtonVPN has its own native apps that do not require any complicated knowledge of your Operating System or network. They have native apps for Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows, as well as a command line tool for Linux. Users can also install and run ProtonVPN on their WiFi router so it covers all of the devices in your home.
The computer ProtonVPN client is available for download on their website. Get the ProtonVPN client here.
You can also download the Android or iOS version from your respective mobile app store.