This article will explain how to extend WiFi range using the Netgear AC1200 WiFi Range Extender. The Netgear WiFi Range Extender boosts signal strength and signal quality so you can get wireless coverage in those areas of your home that have a weak signal. In addition, since it is a dual band extender, it has 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands to reduce network congestion and allow the signal to travel further.
How To Extend WiFi Range Using the Netgear AC1200 Extender
The Netgear AC1200 WiFi Range extender can be configured two ways: As a WiFi Extender or a WiFi Access Point. The difference between these two methods may affect how you ultimately decide to use it.
WiFi Extender mode has a slight reduction in speed. This mode allows you to simply plug the device into an electrical outlet midway between your router and the rest of the WiFi devices in your house. Bandwidth in this mode is reduced, as the extender needs to provide bandwidth to the devices as well as communicate back to the router using WiFi.
Access Point mode is much faster. This mode allows you to hard-wire the connection using an Ethernet cable that runs back to the router. The Access point will have maximum speed due to being physically connected to the router.
Benefits Of Using The Netgear AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
While there are many WiFi range extenders on the market, the Netgear AC1200 is easy to configure using WPS (WiFi Protected Setup). Most modern routers will support WPS, so all you need to do is plug the extender into an electrical outlet near the router and press the WPS button. You then have up to two minutes to press the WPS button on the router. The router and the the extender talk to each other to perform the configuration. You would then repeat this process to setup the 5 Ghz antenna if your router supports dual-bands. That’s it. You can now move the extender to a place further away from the router.
Other benefits include:
- Extends WiFi to devices like phone, tablets, gaming consoles, TVs and streaming devices.
- Extend dual band WiFi up to 1200Mbps
- External antennas for long-range WiFi coverage and speed
- Gigabit Ethernet Port so you can set this up as a wireless access point.
- FastLane Technology uses both WiFi bands to establish one super high-speed connection; ideal for HD streaming & gaming
- Also compatible with any standard router.
- You can reduce network congestion by connecting TVs, game consoles and streaming devices to the 5 Ghz band and reserve the 2.4 Ghz band for cell phones and tablets.
The Netgear AC1200 also has LED lights on the face to clearly indicate its connectivity to the router and the WiFi devices it serves. If the router LED light is amber or red, simply move the extender to an outlet closer to the router.