You can update D-Link Firmware in a few simple steps. When we think of updating firmware in computers our bowels loosen and beads of sweat form on our brow. The general rule with a PC BIOS update is if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it. But in regards to a router, the update procedure is pretty easy as long as you get the correct version of firmware for your model.
Update D-Link firmware will cause cause you to lose any information currently stored in the router. Make sure you have all of your ISP, DNS and other information written down in case you need it later. You will also need to know default passwords for the router, as the password will also be reverted to factory default when the update is complete.
Steps to Update D-Link Firmware
It is critical that you get the exact model and revision number of your router in order to ensure you get the correct firmware. There will be a label somewhere on the router that states all of this information. Once you have it all written down do the following:
- Go to the D-Link website and download your Firmware from here.
- Once you save the firmware to your PC, go to your web browser and type in 192.168.0.1 and hit enter. You will need to login with the router username and password you provided during original setup. If you do not remember it, you can reset the router by depressing the red button on the back of the router. This will set the username to “admin” with a blank password.
- Click the Tools tab, and then the Firmware link or button off to the side.
- Click on the Browse button and navigate to the .bin file you downloaded earlier, then click OPEN.
- Once you click Apply, the firmware will begin updating. The entire process shouldn’t take more than a couple minutes.
You will need to make sure you are on a PC that is physically connected to the router. Otherwise, you will lose your connection when the firmware updates. Once complete, be sure to log in and change the admin password again, restore Wifi security setting and anything else that changed during the upgrade. It is important to keep the router updated, as there may be frequent updates that resolve security issues, or improve router functionality.