If you attempt to update Windows and receive the Windows Update Error 0x800A0046, you will not be able to proceed unless you correct the problem. Windows Updates are important, as they protect you from security exploits and other patches that help keep your Operating System healthy and running smooth. You might see the following screen in Internet Explorer when you manually launch Windows Update. Notice the error number 0x800A0046 in the upper right-hand corner. Followed by that is information on how you might fix the Windows Error 0x800A0046.
The above instructions suggests going to Internet Explorer and doing the following:
- Click on Tools in the menu.
- On the Security tab, click the Internet Zone icon, and then select Custom Level.
- In the Settings box, scroll down to the Miscellaneous section.
- Check to make sure Userdata persistence is enabled.
- Click OK, then Yes if prompted.
Unfortunately, we often find Userdata persistence already enabled. Therefore, you can try these extra steps to fix the Windows Error 0x800A0046.
Steps To Fix Windows Error 0x800A0046
The first option is to disable any unnecessary services programs that automatically load when your system boots. To do this, we will use the Microsoft Configuration Utility.
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type ”msconfig” (without quotation marks), and then click OK.
- On the Startup tab, click Disable All.
- On the Services tab, tick the box before ”Hide All Microsoft Services” and then click Disable All.
- Click OK. When you are prompted to restart the computer, do so.
A dialog box will appear indicating that some changes have been applied to Windows Configurations. Please mark the check box and then cancel this dialog box.
Try to launch Windows Update again and see if the problem getting your Windows Updates persists. You can return to a normal startup by entering msconfig again and selecting Normal Startup located on the General tab.
Clean The Windows Update Temp Folder
Another possible reason you’ll receive the Windows error 0x800A0046 is that the temporary folder for Windows Update contains corrupted files. The best way to proceed with this is to start with a fresh temp folder.
- Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter.
- Net stop WuAuServ
- Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
- In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to SoftwareDistributionold.
- Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.
- Net start WuAuServ
How To Tell When Your Last Windows Update Successfully Ran
Depending on how long this error has prevented you from successfully running a Windows Update, you could have been exposed to thousands of exploits. One easy way to check how long your system has been unprotected is to launch the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Go to Start and in the Run search box, type mrt and hit OK. The utility will launch, and at the top of the Window you will see the last date the tool was updated. Since this tool is updated along with other Windows Updates, this represents the last time you have successfully received all of the Windows Updates.
For more information on the Windows Update error 0x800A0046, visit our forums or read our other Windows tutorials.